Multiplex FunJet Ultra
Written by Tom Sullivan.
Find the full feature on page 65 in the May 2012 issue.
Watch a flight video and read excepts from the article.
What comes to mind when you think of a foamie? I’m not sure about you, but I used to conjure up images of a small model, sometimes made with thin foam, and certainly not something you would fly outside in windy conditions.
Not anymore! Allow me to introduce you to an interesting foamie that will change your preconceived ideas about what an electric-powered foam model is capable of.
When the folks from MA first contacted me about reviewing the FunJet Ultra, I recalled flying a friend’s original FunJet. It was a nice-flying model with jet looks and a decent amount of power, but after looking online and seeing all that Multiplex had upgraded in this new “ultra” version, I began to realize that this was not going to be the typical foamie!
Read the entire article on page 65 of the May 2012 issue of Model Aviation.
• Model type: Electric-powered pusher jet
• Skill level: Beginner builder, intermediate/advanced pilot
• Wingspan: 31 inches
• Wing area: 225 square inches
• Weight: 31 ounces
• Airfoil: Semi-symmetrical
• Length: 29.5 inches
• Power system: 350- to 800-watt brushless outrunner motor; 70- to 80-amp ESC
• Battery: Three-cell 3200 mAh LiPo
• Radio required: Three-channel radio with two mini servos
• Retail price: $109.99 (FunJet Ultra kit); $124.99 (Multiplex Power Pack)
• Motor: Himax HC3514-2980 brushless outrunner
• ESC: Multiplex MULTIcont BL-70 ESC
• Battery: E-flite 3S 3200 mAh LiPo
• Propeller: 6 x 5.5
• Radio system: JR 9503 transmitter, Spektrum AR6210 receiver; two Hitec HS-5065MG servos; two 6-inch servo extensions
• Ready-to-fly weight: 33 ounces
• Flight duration: 8 to 10 minutes
• Molded from extremely durable, high-density Elapor foam.
• Low parts count goes together quickly.
• Canopy hatch firmly locks into place with no tools.
• Fuselage can accept a variety of LiPo battery sizes with a slight amount of foam trimming.
• The Multiplex Power Pack is a perfect match for the FunJet Ultra.
• Motor mount includes an adjustable thrust angle setting.
• Flight performance is smooth and responsive at all speeds.
• Easily reaches speeds of 125 mph as tested.
• Exposed pusher propeller can make hand launching tricky and it’s possible to break the propeller on landing.
|The 2011 Jet World Masters|
Written by T.J. Rohyans As featured on page 18 in the January 2012 issue. Read the entire interview and online exclusive photos.
|Top Gun Invitational 2011|
Written by Stan AlexanderFind the entire feature on page 20 in the August 2011 issue.Read an abridged summary as well as enjoy videos and photos from the event.
|The History of Model Engines|
Written and designed by Bill Mohrbacher Find the entire feature on page 28 in the February 2012 issue.